Saturday, October 15, 2005

i dare it to rain

that's because i am the proud, new owner of these:

GALOSHES!

i fondly remember my last pair of galoshes. it was 1993 and i saw them in the Ralph Lauren store. they were navy blue boots, almost to the knee, with a minor heel. i wanted them so very much, despite my mother's insistence that they were "ridiculous looking" and "overpriced." no matter-- i had to have these boots! and have them i did...
that Fall, i took to wearing them with pants akin to riding jodphurs and a pink or navy sweater. i really think i deluded myself into thinking i looked as if i fell out of a Town & Country shoot. apparently, when i conjured up this image, i managed to "nevermind" the bangs and dark lipstick* that i was all about in those days:

Lovey + some guy from a mixer, at a bowling alley as i recall, circa '94

Lovey + (pre)California sister circa '93

well, i now recognize that the Long Island in me greatly overpowered my Town & Country dreams. but i still love me some galoshes. and i won't be sad when next it rains.

* and let's not get started on the belt/bag.