Tuesday, March 07, 2006

my club perspective...

in the mid-to-late nineties, before i did the whole "become a lawyer" thing, i used to work at a nightclub.* and in my capacity as a receptionist/cashier/promotions assistant there, i had a hand in the administrative process of hiring new bouncers/security guards. that is why i am so surprised that the main suspect in the Imette St. Guillen tragedy is Darell Littlejohn, the bouncer from the Falls, the bar at which Imette was last seen. apparently, the bouncer was an ex-con with a history of violence. last night i was talking to my mother about how such a person could end up bouncing at a bar. maybe the club where i worked (the now defunct Life (at the Ki Club)) was an anomaly, but we did such extensive background checks, hiring an outside security firm to perform them, that an applicant such as Littlejohn--guilty of the instant crime or not--could not have been hired.

i guess i could see how a small bar might not spend the time and resources to do background checks on employees. but the Falls is not a small "one-off" bar; rather it's part of a chain-of-sorts that includes Dorian's (hello, Robert Chambers) and Barna (on Park Avenue South). to me, this gives the Falls' owners little excuse for not checking out their employees pre-hiring.

see Clublife for a more extensive take on the situation.

* as any of you who know me are well-aware, having been regaled (read: bored-to-tears) time and again with my "i used to work at the coolest club" stories.

6 Comments:

At 3/07/2006 01:55:00 PM, Blogger jolie said...

this is all so upsetting - dorrians was my home away from home (I spent 9/11 there, for crying out loud!) when I lived in NYC, and when the falls opened my girlfriends and I lived there every time I was in town to visit.

I also really like the dorrian family, and while they should assume responsibility if there is responsibility to be borne, it makes me sad to see this happening to them.

 
At 3/07/2006 02:08:00 PM, Blogger Lovey said...

i'm not sure it's the Dorrian family's responsibility, per se, but it just seems to be careless to hire *any* employee these days without doing a background check. (being that such checks are so readily available and often at fair prices). from the bar owner's own best interest, in a (mostly) cash business, you ideally want employees who--honesty or dishonesty notwithstanding--at least have not yet been convicted.

i've never been to the Falls, but i pass it every day on my cab ride home.

 
At 3/08/2006 09:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still upset that I was turned away from Dorrian's for not wearing "a collared shirt" when I tried to come in for a post concert beer in the summer of '03. I thought the bouncer was joking with me.....it was Dorrian's for goodness sake.

 
At 3/08/2006 09:07:00 AM, Blogger Lovey said...

oh, don't worry, sweetie! you probably wouldn't have gotten into Life either. (as A.L.F. would say, ha! i kill me!)

 
At 12/30/2015 09:16:00 PM, Blogger 柯云 said...

2015-12-31keyun
nfl jerseys
giuseppe zanotti outlet
ray ban outlet
true religion outlet
abercrombie and fitch
coach factory outlet
adidas superstar shoes
ugg boots outlet
coach outlet
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses sale
cheap ugg boots
louis vuitton handbags
ugg outlet
north face
cheap toms shoes
coach outlet online
cheap oakleys
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet sale
adidas originals store
ray ban sunglasses
chanel bags
michael kors outlet clearance
louis vuitton handbags
beats by dre outlet
michael kors outlet
uggs for women
coach outlet store online clearance
cheap toms
ralph lauren
coach outlet store online
canada goose outlet
ralph lauren sale
uggs outlet
official coach factory outlet
north face jackets
ralph lauren outlet

 
At 1/23/2023 08:23:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

goyard store
jordan 11
kd shoes
bapesta shoes
GGDB
kobe shoes
supreme clothing
bape hoodie
kyrie 7
off white shoes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home